Earth Day is April 22. Now is a good time to think about our commitment to the environment. Reducing waste is critical to environmental sustainability.
The most effective way to reduce waste is not to create it in the first place. Reducing and reusing are effective ways to save natural resources, protect the environment and save money.
Ideas on how to reduce and reuse:
- Buy used. You can find everything from clothing to building materials at reuse centers and consignment shops. Used items are often less expensive and just as good as new.
- Bring reusable shopping bags with you to the store.
- Look for products that use less packaging. Buying in bulk, for example, can reduce packaging and save money.
- Buy reusable items instead of disposable items. Bring your silverware and cup to work.
- Maintain and repairs things such as clothing, tires, and appliances so they won’t end up in the landfill.
- Find creative ways to reuse old stuff.
- Borrow, rent, or share things infrequently used like party decorations, tools, or furniture.
- Trim the bare minimum from vegetables to help reduce food waste.
Find out other ways to reduce waste at www.gundersenenvision.org.